SB

I believe SB moved to GP close to the same time I did. I think her being a So.Cal transplant helped endear her to me. We spent many evenings having dinner with her and her husband and friends, playing dominoes, and in later years cards. 
Seeing what Brad caused to be seen--my reactions to his behaviors that he only allowed to be seen by me--lead her to decide I was a spoiled brat. And I suppose, I was, I believed I was, I still won't argue with anyone who calls me a brat. Facts are facts. But there was more to what was seen, than what she saw. She didn't realize that until about 5 years ago. When my world shattered and only the true reward remained...
We did start to connect more deeply before chaos happened, perhaps that is why she was available to me in those darkest days. 
When Brad finally agreed to allow me to go to the Ladies Bible study, SB was one of the ladies who was always there. She always participated in the discussion, and her answers and observations were often very similar to mine, if not exactly what I wrote, even though they were opinions or experiential anecdotes.  Our Bible study was conducted in the Spring and Fall every year, but not in the Summer or during the holidays (Thanksgiving through New Years). As we talked about it, we discovered that we both missed the study when it wasn't happening, and we both appreciated the accountability of doing study with someone else. So we started to work on a study just us when the official study wasn't happening (I know we did more than one, but I don't know how many we did?). I know we did one my last winter in Oregon...
SB is a perceptive person. And very straightforward. I completely respect her for that. She has been bold enough on several occasions to ask me questions nobody else ever will... The best part of that is she learns things nobody else ever will.
When my world started to crumble, she was among the first to understand that I didn't want what I was afraid was coming. Not because she knew me best, but because she was willing to confront me, ask questions, talk and listen (and I'm sure prayer and listening to God's guidance was a huge part of that understanding as well).
She told me she thought I was a brat, I told her I knew I was.
But when she found out what I was dealing with and how long it had gone on, her understanding of me and my situation changed. 
She has been an important part of my support system. Her prayers and advice, her opinions have been invaluable to me as I have traveled uncharted waters over the last 5 years.
Her willingness to hold me accountable has drawn me back to proper focus before any other of my "godly counselors" have noticed (or had the nerve to say something). I appreciate that she is a friend who stands up for me behind my back. She has been willing to plead my case to those who refuse to speak to me. 
She is the kind of friend I want to be to others, when I grow up. 
Her acceptance and understanding of me and my situation at the moment that nearly everyone else rejected me amazed me then, and has been one of my greatest blessings throughout these recent years. She stuck with me, not because of who I am, but because she chose to dig below the surface of the facade that was my life, and discover the truth. That is the most amazing part to me.

I hope to one day follow her footsteps and be able to encourage others to keep their focus on the Lord. To pursue Him and His will. To know that honoring Him is the only thing that matters. And to help others understand that trusting Him is the safest, surest place to be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

family trip

A new chapter, a new name

To feel or not to feel…